Monday, October 6, 2008

Beware of the Dual Agency: Part 2

I had lunch today with a client who just made a half million dollar offer on a piece of property. We were joined by some of his family members and eventually the conversation turned toward the offer and potential purchase of this property. I have worked with this client on real estate deals in the past and during our luncheon conversation, I casually asked him if he would be hiring the agent he has worked with in the past to represent him on this deal. I even went as far as to say, "you didn't sign anything right?." Long story short, my client's mother-in-law commented that the seller's agent is a neighbor and life long friend of my client's wife's family. After I delivered a brief spiel about the problems inherent in dual agencies, I realized I should be polite and drop the subject.

Just now, out of curiosity I googled "dual agency" and went to the first link. Read it. The results are telling.

http://www.realestatelawyers.com/Dual-agency.cfm

No comments: