Saturday, October 18, 2008

Criminal Procedure

A big part of my job as a criminal defense attorney is simply making a prosecutor do his or her job. The criminal procedure law is very specific and failure to follow the rules for prosecuting a defendant can result in either a dismissal of a case, or a far better plea bargain offer than what was made initially. I make sure a prosecutor follows the rules. Most prosecutors do their job very well, especially in Saratoga County where I live. But every once in a while, a prosecutor slips up and my client makes out well. Don't worry, I'm not talking about violent criminals here. Most of my clients are white collar.

I'm always amazed when a prosecutor asks me if my client has a criminal history. First,I'm pretty sure that running a record on a defendant is part of a prosecutor's job. Second, most of my clients are actually criminals and are probably not telling me the truth. Third, I have no way of getting the records a prosecutor can get. So why would they ask me about my client's record?

Just the other day I was working out a deal for a client charged with a marijuana offense. I rejected the first plea bargain offer and I was negotiating. The prosecutor asked me if the client had a criminal history. My client did in fact tell me this wasn't his first offense but he couldn't remember the outcome of the case, nor could he even remember the charge. So the case could have been dismissed or plea bargained, who knows? When this prosecutor asked me the criminal history question, what was I supposed to say? I said I don't know, and that was the truth. Apparently that answer was good enough for him and he gave my client a sweet deal.

No comments: