Monday, December 1, 2008

Heroin in? A follow up.

I had a client not too long ago who was charged with "criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument" in violation of NY PL 220.45. My client was a heroin addict. He overdosed in a friends house. His friend called an ambulance. For some reason, the police showed up as well. Because there was a needle near my client, he was charged with a Class A misdemeanor, a relatively serious charge.

Well it turns out the house he allegedly committed his crime in was just across the town line, which was just outside the jurisdiction of the police department that wrote him the appearance ticket. Therefore, the court lacked "geographic jursiduction" over my client.

I showed up at the scheduled court appearance without my client and made an oral motion to dismiss the charge for lack of jurisdiction. The Judge really had no choice but to grant the motion.

The prosecutor basically conceded to my argument to dismiss. However, he questioned if what I was doing was in the best interest of my client, who obviously was a heroin addict. I felt a little guilty at first but now looking back, I am confident that a jail would have been worst possible place for my client to deal with his problem in.

No comments: