Monday, March 16, 2009

Angry Cop

One of the really fun things I get to do as a criminal defense attorney is question witnesses under oath. I especially enjoy cross examinations because it is an artform. As a criminal defense attorney, cross examining the police is a big part of my job. Most of the time, the results are dissapointing because a large portion of police, especially State Police, are smart and honest. A smart honest cop who arrested your client is generally not good for the defense's case.

What I'm really hoping for when I meet the cop who arrested my client for the first time is the cop who is mad. He huffs and puffs into the Courtroom. He's pissed. Maybe he was subpoenaed two hours ago and now he has to work late. Maybe he blames me for cutting in to his drinking time. I don't know and I frankly don't care.

Why any cop thinks their time is more valuable than that of the accused, the judge, the defense attorney, the stenographer, the witnesses, or the Constitution, etc. is disconcerting. A cop is a public servant. The word servant means you serve. How about serving with some freaking dignity?

I love questioning the mad cop. The calmer I stay and the closer I listen, the more I learn. The mad cop is very impatient. Especially when you ask him a really stupid question like, "You agree that alcohol by itself is an odorless substance right?" They really hate that question. I use it to feed the anger fire.

The best part about mad cops on the stand is that they forget why they are present in the Courtoom. They think they are in a pissing match with the defense attorney but they are there to tell the truth! But, they want and need to "win". So they lie and I call them on it. Now whose side do you think the jury is gonna be on? The calm polite defense attorney's side, or the angry lying cop's side?

No comments: