Monday, March 30, 2009

Blogging, Branding, and Blah Blah Blah

I started this blog back in August of 2008 shortly after I "hung out my shingle" as a criminal defense attorney. I love doing this. And to any person reading the Saratoga Lawyer Blog, I say to you "Thank you!" I also have to thank fellow blogger, fellow lawyer, former boss, and current friend Warren Redlich for encouraging me and inspiring me to blog about my practice.

I don't really know exactly what motivates me to write this stuff and I have been thinking about it a great deal lately because it takes time to write, and my time is precious. You see, I have the kind of job where you never feel like you are working hard enough. My head is perpetually engaged in thinking about work. So if I'm going to kick down two hours to muse or rant about something, there should probably be some collateral benefit to me or my clients. Right? Frankly, my aspirations for this blog are patently selfish. My hope is that the blog will generate business for my practice because it will promote my "brand" of legal service.

Ah ha! Now I am getting somewhere. I always hear marketing people talking about developing a "brand", but I've never really been able to connect that theory up with lawyer marketing. But now I understand. And the Saratoga Lawyer Blog has helped me sort it out because it gives me a venue to think, reflect, write, learn, and grow in.

My brand is not a fiction. It is a reflection of my attitude and beliefs. I became a criminal defense attorney because I believe someone needs to stand up to the government and fight for justice. I went to law school to empower myself and empower other people. I could never, ever, be a prosecutor. I respect my colleagues and their job is necessary, but there are so many bad laws that I could never enforce in good conscience. And coming from very humble beginning gives me a soft spot for the little guy.

So how do I define and describe my brand? Well I'm different of course! How am I different? I have almost eliminated overhead from the practice of law which enables me to deliver high quality legal services at a discount. I have a virtual office. My desk moves with me from courthouse to courthouse, and law library to Starbucks. When my computer is out of reach, my iphone takes over. With email, I don't need a secretary. I use a $350.00 fax/printer that has printed thousands of pages of motions, briefs, letters, and faxed hundreds of documents without failure. I have no employees. I don't have to pay rent. I don't have to deal with office drama. My business plan has "Keep It Simple" stamped on it. And the plan is working.

I have a niche practice. I know exactly who my clients are and why they want me. Nearly all of my clients are from the same demographic. One very important thing about that demographic is that they can afford my fees. I'm not cheap and I never will be. I learned early on that to deliver high quality legal services, you must make the money you feel like you deserve to be happy and productive.

I want to make this blog better. I want it to have a direction. I want it to be popular. And I want it to make me money. So I don't think I want to change too much about it other than tweaking design and organizing the posts in to categories to make it more search friendly.

I'm looking for feedback here so don't be shy about commenting. Thanks!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Excellent post! Thanks for your comments on our LinkedIn discussion. I can certainly agree with your "keep it simple" approach. We are the same way at Green Street. Your insight about fees is also very good--with our tiny shingle hanging in the wind, it's hard to say how much we want to charge, but you certainly make a good argument:

"I'm not cheap and I never will be. I learned early on that to deliver high quality legal services, you must make the money you feel like you deserve to be happy and productive."

LOVE that quote! I'm following you on google reader. Btw, the blog my picture links to is our "firm blog." Our fun blog is www.judgementproof.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You're welcome, and you're doing a great job. I know exactly what you mean about low overhead. But keep in mind it only works with low volume. Over time you will get more cases - because you will do good work for people and they'll send their friends and family - and at some point it will be difficult to keep it up on your own. You either have to say no to more and more people or find a way to handle more cases. The latter course requires overhead.